Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Leading Man - "It's a Wonderful Life" A Musical



Joel Peterson as George Bailey



Joel studies at St. Olaf College in Northfield (class of '13!)
and is a Chaska Senior High School Graduate
Role: George Bailey
Started in the theatre: 16
Age: 22
City: Chaska


CVFT: Please tell us how it all started. Your theater life that is.
Joel: "I knew theater was for me when I learned sports were not for me. No, but in all seriousness, I've always enjoyed singing, and my friends and family have considered me somewhat of a performer, so theater seemed a logical next step. I started in my sophomore year of High School and I haven't looked back, except right now, for the sake of this blog."

CVFT: Why Chaska Valley Family Theater?
Joel: "I continue to audition for and participate in shows at CVFT not only for the increasing quality they bring professionally, but for the camaraderie and friendliness of everyone involved. Doing "community theater" right is actually not as easy as it sounds, and I think CVFT has struck the perfect balance between taking the art of theater "seriously" and making sure anyone who is interested gets their fair chance at the authentic stage experience." 

CVFT: Your thoughts on your character and the show?
Joel: "As George Bailey, I really enjoy trying to capture his shifting mood as he descends into abject depression and desperation. It's a challenge, but one I find extremely rewarding to try to master. Collectively, I think the brisk pace of the show, combined with the upbeat and lively chorus numbers make "It's a Wonderful Life" light and enjoyable, even when dealing with some pretty heavy subject matter. Our cast does such a great job of bringing Bedford Falls to life.

CVFT: Any pre-show rituals?
Joel: "My pre-show rituals, as anyone who has seen me can tell you, basically consist of a lot of pacing and seemingly random sips of water. I wish there was more method to my madness, but sadly it isn't so. I do, however, enjoy getting to the theater very early on performance dates, simply to be able to have a moment of calm before the storm."

CVFT: Has your family been a part of your CVFT experience?
Joel: "There is no "F" in my personal CVFT. The only memorable experience in theater with family I've had is in Tom Sawyer (also done by CVFT). My dad was brought in as a last-minute character to portray someone called "Mr. Dobbins". Having no theater experience, he outdid himself. I remember him rushing on to stage, excitedly delivering his line: "Mr. Dobbins! Mr. Dobbins! Come quick! We need a coroner! There's been a MURDER!" Definitely a highlight for me.

CVFT: Any other fun behind the scenes tid bits you care to share? 
Joel: "I've had to sit out of dance rehearsals for a variety of reasons, and so I've left my talented better half alone on stage for all of the partner dancing. She's done a great job of learning all of the steps without me (perhaps excluding the trust fall). If, on opening night, while we are dancing together, you say to yourself "Wow, she is so effortless in those dance steps - it's like he's not even there!" ...there is a reason for that." 

Thanks so much, Joel. We caught of glimpse of you at rehearsal last night - "wow", said all. Your voice is amazing - as is the rest of the cast. Goosebumps two weeks out!? That's a first for me. Counting down the days until open....to get your tix please check us out here.

Jibs
CVFT Insider

No comments:

Post a Comment